Suffering from headaches, indigestion, and excessive dandruff? Learn ayurvedic remedies to prevent and diagnose them effectively and naturally. According to Ayurveda, a healthy body has a perfect balance of the three doshas( Pitta, Vata and Kapha) and imbalance in any of the three doshas leads to health problems. Ayurveda helps us identify the factors that cause an imbalance in the doshas and offers knowledge to create ways to balance them through diet, herbs, postures, and lifestyle.
Headaches are common these days. In Ayurveda, it is known as Shirahshool. The three commonly known headaches are tension, migraine and sinus headaches. Each of the three doshas(Pitta, Vata, and Kapha) is associated with a different type of headache. The causes include stress, overworking, improper diet, insomnia and lifestyle.
Tension Headaches: Pitta and Vata
Sinus Headaches: Kapha
Ayurvedic remedies for relief from headaches
- Drinking lemon juice in a strong black tea gives greater benefit in a headache.
- Make a paste of soft powder in the water or in rice water, and apply it on the head, it will also help in pain relief.
- Keeping white cotton cloth soaked in water and keeping it on the forehead also gives comfort.
- Grinding the garlic in the water, applying its coating is also comfortable in head pain.
- Crushing the leaves of red basil, putting the juice on the forehead twice a day, 3 times will also help in pain.
- The rice will be washed in a washed water and its coating will also ease the pain in the headache.
- Crushing green Coriander and applying its coating on the forehead will be very relaxing.
- Keeping white cotton cloth soaked in vinegar and keeping it on the forehead will also relieve pain.
Dandruff is a condition of skin wherein dead skin of the scalp starts shedding and collecting in the hair. In Ayurveda, it is known as darunak. It is caused by the imbalance of all three doshas. Usually, the excessive intake of oily, dry, and spicy food expedites the imbalance of doshas and hence, should be avoided. Other factors include emotional stress, impurities in blood and using chemical-stuffed hair products. Itching, redness, dryness and irritation in the scalp are the common symptoms of dandruff.
Ayurvedic remedies to remove hair dandruff
- Mix the lemon juice with coconut oil and massage the head daily.
- Use shampoo instead of bathing soaked in water.
- Mix yogurt with mung powder apply and keep it on the head for an hour and then wash it.
- Eating only vegetarian food will also help in removing your dandruff.
- Avoid spicy, junk food, and aerated drinks.
- Add a small amount of camphor oil in coconut oil and apply on your head before going to bed for a couple of days.
- Make a paste of neem leaves and add a few drops of lemon juice then apply it on your head and keep for 30 minutes before rinsing off.
- Make a paste of amla powder and add tulsi leaves and water to it. Apply thoroughly on the scalp and keep for one hour before washing it off.
Gas and Indigestion
Gas and bloating are results of an imbalance in Vata. Thus, Vata-aggravating foods like raw vegetables, dry food, cold food, fried food, meat, and beans should be avoided. Indigestion, whereas, is caused due to an imbalance in Pitta. Stress, anger, impatience and eating heat-producing foods like spicy food, vinegar, tomatoes, garlic, onion, citrus fruits, meat etc. aggravate Pitta( Fire). Therefore, they should be avoided. Moreover, the food should be eaten slowly and chewed properly.
Ayurvedic remedies to remove gas and indigestion
- Always have food on time.
- Use boiled water of oregano instead of plain water at mealtime.
- Drink boiled water regularly.
- Make cumin seeds, fennel, oatmeal and dry them, use honey before meals.
- Take one garlic clove and add a little salt and baking powder to it. Then, consume it.
- Add half a teaspoon of baking soda and lemon juice( 1/4 lemon juice) to warm water and consume it immediately. It helps in indigestion.
- Add lime juice to a teaspoon of ginger pulp and consume after your meal to avoid gas and bloating.
- Soak figs overnight and consume first thing in the morning.